Tau Beta Sigma is a nationally recognized Coed Band Service Sorority that was started as a way to promote women in the band profession. It was formed as the sister organization to Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity.
At Ohio State, Tau Beta Sigma was chartered on April 29th, 1950 and our goal is to serve the overall band program. We also have done a great deal of outreach to the local community via service events like teaching girl scouts about music, assisting Columbus Symphony Orchestra Kid’s Day, and doing other events like blood drives.
National Mission Statement:
We provide exceptional service to collegiate bands and promote equality and diversity, including empowering women in the band profession. We cultivate leadership, educational achievement, music appreciation and community development.
Be it known that Tau Beta Sigma, National Honorary Sorority for members of the college band, is an organization operating exclusively in the field of the college and university bands, for the following purposes:
1. To promote the existence and welfare of the collegiate bands and to create a respect and appreciation for band activities and achievements among the listening public everywhere.
2. To honor outstanding members of the band through privilege of membership, in the Sisterhood, extended in recognition of musical achievement, demonstrated leadership, and an enthusiastic approach to band activities.
3. To develop leadership through active participation with the band, and through it, to strengthen those traits of conduct, thought, and idealism which characterize the responsible membership of the band.
4. To encourage a close relationship between collegiate bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
5. To provide a meaningful and worthwhile social experience for all engaged in collegiate band work, and to cooperate with other musical organizations and societies in every manner consistent with our mutual purposes and those of the institution at which chapters are located.
The Eight Essential Factors and Five Qualities “The 8&5”
Eight Essential Factors
1. Physical and mental qualities of an attractive nature;
2. Demonstrated loyalty and dependability to those persons and institutions deserving of it;
3. A truthfulness and honesty which instills a sense of trust in others;
4. A cheerfulness at all times and under all circumstances, even in the face of great trial;
5. A mutual interest in the Art of Music in its performance and in the aesthetic qualities it can project to others;
6. Generosity of mind, heart, and hand;
7. Tolerance, tempered with kindness and a consideration for the needs of others;
8. Fortitude and courage to see an ideal, to seize upon it, and follow it wherever it may lead you in Tau Beta Sigma.
1. Knowledge and development of your physical powers in the quest for good health and bodily perfection;
2. Recognition and development of your intellectual potential;
3. Appreciation for and the maintenance of the highest moral standards;
4. Achievement of and the personification within you of lofty spiritual ideals;
5. Cultivation and maintenance of your emotional poise under all conditions.